15 Marketing Tips for Restaurants: How to Reach Local Customers
- Genevieve Babineau
- 3 Min Read
Right now, restaurants need to be super creative to reach their customers. Try these tips for getting the attention of local customers.
Be sure to follow local government guidelines and regulations specific to coronavirus.
Stay in touch
- For new customers, include bounce-back promos so they order again.
- For your regulars, call or text to tell them you’re still open for takeout and/or delivery.
- For your best customers, send a handwritten note thanking them for their business.
- When you add new menu items, send an email to let customers know.
- For community organizations (like local youth, sports, or church groups), maintain these relationships so you’re top of mind when they’re able to order again.
Boost your online presence
- On your website, make it easy for customers to order by adding Order Online and Order Catering links to the main navigation.
- On social media, share your menu, highlight top-selling items, and include hashtags like #TakeoutTuesday.
- Everywhere your info lives (your website, Google business profile, Yelp, etc.), make sure to keep menus, hours, phone number, and delivery options up-to-date.
Get outside your four walls
- Around your building, place signage (lawn signs, A-frames, window posters) so customers know you’re still open for business.
- At local residences, leave menus or coupons on porches or tucked into screen doors.
- At businesses where people still work on-site (check local guidelines), leave menus, coupons, and even samples.
- To your delivery area, send affordable, targeted direct mail with USPS.
Connect with your community
- Partner with complementary businesses on cross-promotion. Everyone’s in this together.
- Send food to local hospitals and medical offices.
- Donate food to local food pantries and other non-profits. This builds good will that lasts.
Simple, local marketing initiatives can go a long way to staying top of mind with your customers.
Looking for other ways to expand your customer reach? Start here.