Best of ezCater: Top Washington, DC Caterers for 2020
- 5 Min Read
There are so many false assumptions about the Washington, DC food scene, but insiders are well aware that it’s not just a city of steakhouses. With plenty of Peruvian chicken joints, Middle Eastern restaurants, and Mexican taquerias, there’s a cache of diverse dining treasures hiding within communities inside, as well as just beyond the Beltway. Whether you need to cater lunch for a large workshop or a power breakfast, DC has it all, and this list will help you navigate the choices.
Best in Washington, DC
1. El Fresco Mexican Grill (13966 Metrotech Dr., Chantilly)
The tacos, enchiladas, and fajitas are made fresh in this caterer’s kitchen every day, and the presentation is impeccable.
2. District Rico (91 H St. NW, Washington, DC)
Bring a taste of Peru to the office with this caterer’s juicy, charcoal-kissed chicken served with zesty sauces.
3. The Simple Greek (1731 Wilson Blvd., Arlington)
Show your appreciation for a job well done with a feast of pita, flavorful gyro, grilled meats, stuffed grape leaves, and outrageous baklava cheesecake.
Best for Large Meetings
1. District Rico (91 H St. NW, Washington, DC)
Cater a meal for 50 with just a click of a button when you order the all-inclusive package. This popular order includes 60 quarter pieces of Peruvian chicken and your choice of five sides like onion tomato salad, plantains, black beans, yuca, and more.
2. Au Bon Pain (1100 13th St. NW, Washington, DC)
This reliable chain supplies a vast variety of sandwich, salad, and appetizer trays, like fruit and cheese or hummus and vegetables, to make feeding a big group so much easier.
3. Church’s Chicken (429 L’Enfant Plz. SW, Washington, DC)
When feeding a crowd, you can’t go wrong with a large order of fried chicken and biscuits. The well-vented packaging means the food never arrives soggy.
Best for Small Meetings
1. White Apron Deli (1250 New York Ave. NW, Washington, DC)
This deli layers fresh meats, cheeses, and vegetables on fresh-baked bread from their on-site boulangerie to compose sandwich trays that are perfect for a small team meeting.
2. Urban Plates (1782 Galleria Dr., Tysons)
For a small group wanting a break from sandwiches, try the top-quality chicken, steak, or salmon family meals served with your choice of sides like homemade mashed potatoes or macaroni and cheese.
3. Aladdin’s Kitchen (1782 Florida Ave. NW, Washington, DC)
This Adams Morgan caterer can assemble a small platter of succulent chicken, falafel, or lamb and beef gyro sandwiches or accommodate individual orders, depending on your needs.
Best for High Stakes Meetings
1. Moby Dick House of Kabob (444 W Broad St., Falls Church)
In operation since 1989, this Mediterranean chain uses traditional Persian cooking techniques to make their flame-grilled meats. Clay oven-baked pitas and house-made seasoning will impress the pickiest eaters.
2. Which Wich (4300 Wilson Blvd., Arlington)
The Arlington branch of this Dallas-based chain earns high marks for their Signature Wich Tray and on-time delivery.
3. Merzi (415 7th St. NW, Washington, DC)
Founder Kaz Kazmi found inspiration in family recipes to produce healthy and delicious Indian dishes like Tikka Masala and Curried Cauliflower. Each is served with a variety of homemade chutneys.
Best for Last Minute Orders
1. Baja Fresh Mexican Grill (12150 Fairfax Towne Center, Fairfax)
Party packs and platters piled high with burritos, taquitos, and quesadillas are an easy solution to quickly complete a last-minute request.
2. California Tortilla (3501 Connecticut Ave. NW, Washington, DC)
Mission burritos plump with tomatoes, Jack cheese, corn, and cilantro will show up in time when you place an order with this regional chain.
3. Aladdin Sizzler (3231 Rhode Island Ave., Mount Rainier)
If you find yourself in a time crunch, you can rely on this Maryland joint to come through under the wire with tasty pizza and gyros.
Best Mexican Catering
1. El Fresco Mexican Grill (13966 Metrotech Dr., Chantilly)
Out-of-the-ordinary Mexican dishes like grilled tilapia and apple churros are on the menu when you order from this Virginia caterer.
2. Baja Fresh Mexican Grill (7003 Manchester Blvd., Springfield)
Since 1990, this chain has had a commitment to using farm-fresh ingredients, which is reflected in the quality of its outstanding guacamole, burritos, tacos, quesadillas, and taquitos.
3. Chevys Fresh Mex (1201 S Hayes St., Arlington)
This nationwide restaurant does Mexican food with a distinct California influence as is evident in the Southwest Cobb Salad with mesquite-grilled chicken breast and the Mixed Green Salad with corn salsa.
Best Sandwich Catering
1. Celebrity Delly & Catering (7263-A Arlington Blvd., Falls Church)
For a change of pace, order a platter of croissant sandwiches stuffed with corned beef, roast beef, turkey, chicken salad, and more from this 38-year-old Virginia deli.
2. Gourmet Express Catering (952 4th St., Laurel)
Since 1991, this Maryland caterer has been offering a little something different, such as wraps filled with Mango Shrimp, Chipotle Chicken, and BLT & Avocado, plus lots of vegetarian options.
3. Bryson’s Catering (1020 19th St. NW, Washington, DC)
Customers love this caterer’s clever colored toothpick system that avoids confusion and indicates which sandwich is filled with ham, egg salad, or roast beef.
Best Italian Catering
1. DMV Pizza (151 Centerway, Greenbelt)
This pizzeria offers a few surprises like stuffed shells, shrimp alfredo pasta, and the outrageous DMV Classic White Pizza paired with buffalo wings and salad.
2. Paisano’s Pizza (1815 Wisconsin Ave. NW, Washington, DC)
With pizza and pasta that are made in-house daily using the freshest ingredients available, this beloved regional chain has been a top choice for catering since 1997.
3. Bertucci’s (6525 Frontier Dr., Springfield)
The brick oven, which is the heart of every Bertucci’s location, is the secret behind their flavorful pizzas, vegetables, and pasta dishes like Rigatoni Abruzzi and Tortellini Pomodoro.
Best Mediterranean Catering
1. The Simple Greek (1731 Wilson Blvd., Arlington)
Ordering Yia Yia’s House Party Package with gyro meat, falafel, lentils, rice pilaf, sauces, and sides will guarantee there’s a little something for everyone to enjoy.
2. Urfa Tomato Kabob (467 Florida Ave. NW, Washington, DC)
The hummus and freshly baked pita earn applause from customers, but don’t overlook the tender chicken kabobs and honey-sweetened baklava for dessert.
3. Shishkabob Catering (11210 Lee Hwy., Fairfax)
The from-scratch spice rub perfumed with saffron, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, and rosemary is the secret behind this caterer’s kabobs that happen to be some of the best in Virginia.
Best Breakfast Catering
1. Sophia’s Cafe (7926 Jones Branch Dr., McLean)
For over 15 years, this Virginia caterer has been serving some of the best breakfast spreads, whether you’re looking for savory breakfast burritos, healthy yogurt parfaits, or anything in between.
2. Key Ingredients Catering (8551 Ziggy Ln., Gaithersburg)
Beyond the traditional breakfast buffet, founder Javier Zerpa and his team also provide unexpected morning treats like Baked Egg Cupcakes, Spinach & Mozzarella Frittata, and Berry Salad.
3. Devon & Blakely (2200 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, DC)
Wake up to Smoked Salmon Pinwheels, Egg Wraps, Old-Fashioned Oatmeal, and more from this downtown sandwich shop.
The Best of ezCater Awards recognize top performing ezCater catering partners in 25 cities across the US. Selection criteria include catering performance over the past 12 months, customer reviews and ratings, and adherence to ezCater editorial guidelines. All winners must have a location in the 25 designated metro areas.
Need to cater a meeting in DC?