Best of ezCater: Top Detroit Caterers for 2020
- 5 Min Read
National headlines are finally declaring Motor City an up and coming foodie hotspot as the dining scene grows and diversifies. Yes, people are currently obsessing over the city’s square pizza, but real Detroiters know there’s so much more to the city’s food scene. To make your food ordering easier, this list presents the best catering that Detroit has to offer. And since the city has a world-class Middle Eastern food scene, there’s no surprise it’s heavy on Mediterranean caterers.
Best in Detroit
1. Mezza Mediterranean Grille (30720 Southfield Rd., Southfield)
With tender kabobs, fresh salads, and creamy hummus, this local chain offers generous portions of delicacies from Greece, Turkey, Italy, Spain, and the Middle East.
2. La Marsa (24273 Middlebelt Rd., Farmington Hills)
With more than 15 years of experience, this Middle Eastern spot does meaty favorites like kabobs and kafta, and vegan and vegetarian options like Ghallaba (sauteed vegetables) and Mjadra (herbed lentils with cracked wheat).
3. Northside Deli (1001 Welch Rd., Commerce Charter Township)
Switch things up with a salad as an entrée— the Maurice is topped with chicken, ham, swiss, and pickles. Or pair the Grilled Chicken with a salad (finish with the cookies). This caterer offers variety and impressive presentations.
Best for Large Meetings
1. Antonio’s Pizzeria (22804 Orchard Lake Rd., Farmington)
The massive Greek and Antipasto salads could feed a mob, and the substantial square pizzas (like the Cheese and the Meat Lover’s) arrive fresh and piping hot.
2. Pic-A-Deli (3381 Rochester Rd., Troy)
Outstanding sandwiches made with fresh-baked bread— not to mention the homemade salads and desserts— have kept this caterer in business for more than 30 years.
3. Metro Deli (2075 W Big Beaver Rd., Troy)
Since 1997, brothers Steve and Saso Apostolovski have been using the highest-quality ingredients to create their delectable salads, sandwiches, and hot entrees like Meat Lasagna and Stuffed Peppers.
Best for Small Meetings
1. Mezza Mediterranean Grille (30720 Southfield Rd., Southfield)
For a small group lunch, this Mediterranean caterer goes beyond shawarma. Their unique sandwich offerings include lentils and cracked wheat, Chicken Kofta, and Hummus with Meat & Grape leaves.
2. Pita Way (193 N Park Blvd., Orion Charter Township)
The standard box lunch gets a makeover with choices like chicken, lamb, or falafel pitas with a side of hummus, garlic dip, baba ghannoush, and pita chips.
3. CK Mediterranean Grille & Catering (25148 Evergreen Rd., Southfield)
This caterer is beloved for its variety and flavor. Catering Package 2 includes pita, tasty kabobs, shawarma, falafel, and your choice of sides like tabbouli, hummus, garlic sauce or even a pickle tray. Don’t forget the Baklava.
Best for High Stakes Meetings
1. Bad Brads BBQ (6525 23 Mile Rd., Shelby Charter Township)
Juicy smoked sausage, savory sliced brisket, and tender ribs are proof this caterer’s ultimate goal is to produce the best possible barbecue.
2. Cottage Inn Pizza (41758 W 10 Mile Rd., Novi)
The famous pizzas, along with delicious Italian pastas, have kept this local chain in business since 1948. It’s a Michigan institution for a reason.
3. Mr. Kabob Xpress (2036 W Big Beaver Rd., Troy)
Catering packages featuring kabobs, hummus, rice, couscous, tabouli, fattoush salad, falafel, grape leaves, garlic sauce, mixed pickles, pita bread, chips, and baklava, are feasts for both the eyes and the stomach.
Best for Last Minute Orders
1. Pita Way (30428 Milford Rd., Lyon Charter Township)
If you find yourself in a pickle, go for the all-inclusive Family Feast Package brimming with assorted meats, rice, hummus, tabouli, fattoush salad, and pita bread.
2. Boostan Cafe (3470 Holbrook Ave., Hamtramck)
The Shawarma and Shish combos from this Middle Eastern restaurant have reputations for arriving fresh, piping hot, and on time.
3. Oasis Mediterranean Cuisine (5709 E Twelve Mile Rd., Warren)
Go for the Lunch Catering Package 1, piled high with savory chicken shawarma, fattoush salad, creamy hummus, and bread. The fresh food and speedy service is always a hit.
Best Mexican Catering
1. On The Border (21091 Haggerty Rd., Novi)
Rave-worthy zesty guacamole from this Texas-based chain pairs perfectly with their mesquite-grilled fajitas and hand-rolled enchiladas.
2. Las Cazuelas Grill (25290 Evergreen Rd., Southfield)
This family-owned chain, which started from humble beginnings in a gas station, has grown into a full-service caterer thanks to the excellent tacos, flautas, and burritos.
3. Calexico (1040 Woodward Ave., Detroit)
Serve up a hot meal with the irresistible slow roasted Chicken Enchiladas which are topped with red chili sauce, bacon, jalapenos and jack cheese. Round it out with a salad on the side.
Best Sandwich Catering
1. Northside Deli (1001 Welch Rd., Commerce Charter Township)
Order the Deluxe Deli Tray complete with turkey, lean corned beef, rare roast beef, ham, cheeses, pickles, olives, tomatoes, and rye bread. You’ll see why this is the absolute best deli in Cecil County.
2. DiBella’s Subs (30752 Telegraph Rd., Franklin)
The famous rolls for these classic American subs are proofed, scored, seasoned, and freshly baked throughout the day.
3. Granite City Food & Brewery (699 W Big Beaver Rd., Troy)
With choices like prime rib, buffalo chicken, and turkey and avocado, the selection is more extravagant than your run-of-the-mill sandwich platter and box lunch fare.
Best Italian Catering
1. Buca di Beppo (38888 Six Mile Rd., Livonia)
Fill up on the Chicken Parmigiana Pan, crispy breaded chicken cutlets topped with a pool of fresh marinara and melted mozzarella. Sop up any leftovers with their housemade bread.
2. Macaroni Grill (2111 N Squirrel Rd., Auburn Hills)
Make your next event or meeting more interactive, let your guests customize with the Make-Your-Own-Pasta bar. This package features your choices of pasta, two sauces and two vegetables, served with bread.
3. Green Lantern Pizzeria (4326 Rochester Rd. N, Royal Oak)
This old school neighborhood pizza parlor is known for its pies— including gluten-free— but it also stands out with sandwiches, salads, and that addictive cinnamon bread.
Best Mediterranean Catering
1. La Marsa (24273 Middlebelt Rd., Farmington Hills)
This traditional Middle Eastern restaurant shines in the salad department. Try the crisp fattoush packed with cucumbers, tomatoes, and onions, or the unexpected Greek salad which is dotted with sliced beets.
2. Alloush Grill (37337 Six Mile Rd., Livonia)
Enjoy a taste of Lebanon with succulent, spit-roasted Chicken Shawarma, Beef Shish Kabob or Meat Shish Kafta. This caterer also serves some delicious vegetarian options like Hummus and Baba Ghannouj.
3. Pita Way (10531 Highland Rd., White Lake Charter Township)
This Michigan-based chain earns accolades for menu variety. Surprise your team with unique items like garlic dip, curry rice stew, and chicken, lemon, and rice soup in addition to more traditional sandwiches.
Best Breakfast Catering
1. Bloomfield Deli & Catering (71 W Long Lake Rd., Bloomfield Hills)
Customers rave about the smoky bacon, crispy hash browns, and fluffy scrambled eggs that comprise the breakfast buffet.
2. Tropical Smoothie Cafe (33353 Woodward Ave., Birmingham)
Healthy and refreshing smoothies like Kiwi Quencher and Mango Magic bring a taste of the tropics to the office.
3. Lunchtime Global (660 Woodward Ave., Detroit)
Add a surprise like granola and berry yogurt parfaits, homemade quiches, or a selection of stuffed croissants to a traditional continental breakfast.
The Best of ezCater Awards recognize top performing ezCater catering partners in 25 cities across the US. Selection criteria include catering performance over the past 12 months, customer reviews and ratings, and adherence to ezCater editorial guidelines. All winners must have a location in the 25 designated metro areas.
Make your next team meeting a little more delicious.